Monday, February 14, 2011

T.V. Party

I'm still plugging away, working on a new style for my portfolio. So, I'm finding ways to create assignments for myself and this illustration came about from playing a bit of word association so to speak.

I ran across a photo of some punks sitting outside on an old couch watching as punks and riot cops were battling in the streets of Hanover, Germany. That image made me think of Black Flag's song T.V. Party since the punks in the photo looked as if they could be watching television.

The photo that inspired this illustration by timphotos24
I liked the idea of the punks watching T.V. outside, but I wanted to put them in a more positive setting than a riot. I'm currently living in the Pacific Northwest, so, a forest seemed like a good place to use as the back drop for this illustration. Plus, I felt that this would add interest to the piece as a forest doesn't seem like a common place to watch television.

Lastly, some of the lyrics from the Black Flag song are, " We've got nothing better to do, than watch T.V. and have a couple of brews..." One of the markets I plan on pursuing with my new portfolio is children's books. Therefore, I shouldn't have these young punks drinking beer... hmmm... ah yes! Juice boxes, healthy delicious juice! So, that was the final element to tie this illustration together.

9 comments:

  1. Wow KC, that is really well done. I especially dig the guy on the far left. Great expression. Those trees...so classic, so cool. YOu have some skills there, m'boy! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really sweet work! I've just started listening to your podcasts and they're great- Thanks for bringing some humor and great tips into my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! The juice box litter adds just the right touch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally love this fun stuff WAAAY more than your "darker days" stuff. Super cool. They almost look like muppets.

    My only critique, if it's any critique at all, is that I think that it might look a little better if the "camera" was zoomed in to the characters a little more. It seems a little too far back.

    But that's just being totally nit-picky. Looks awesome man. I loving this new direction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bringing it all together, Kevin!
    Great concept! And to see your new style develop is a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful work dude! Love the juice boxes lol!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dig the newer style man, and what a way to watch TV!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow guys! Thank you so much for all the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  9. super cool, Kevin! I, too, love this lighter style. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete